Who are we?
Bringing together more than 400 professionals in our offices across Canada, GCM Consultants has been a leader in heavy industry for more than 25 years. We are always on the lookout for new projects that allow us to push the limits of creativity. GCM’s consulting engineering services are built on the trust our clients have in the quality of our work.
Reporting to the Vice-President of Engineering, the manager of the building group of GCM Consultants Inc. is responsible for the performance and planning of the engineers and technicians of the building team as well as the implementation of the strategic plan.
The GCM building team is currently composed of a building mechanics team and supported by electrical and structural groups. The successful candidate will be responsible for technically supervising and growing the building mechanics team as well as growing their department by adding dedicated resources in building electricity and building structure in order to create an autonomous team while ensuring healthy collaboration with the resources of the electrical and structural departments.
The building group is essential to the smooth running of the company’s projects. GCM specializes in plant engineering in Quebec and Canada. The resulting building projects are varied and technically stimulating. In addition, the group director will have to, in collaboration with the team of vice-presidents of the business sectors, develop his business niche.
The building director demonstrates his/her credibility and technical leadership both internally and externally. It inspires confidence in our clients, project managers, employees, and potential resources. The building manager has the courage to intervene and acts ethically, empathetically and in line with the values of the company.
In addition, the overall skills management of the department as well as the individual development plans are under the responsibility of the director. He will be responsible for allocating the department's training budget, preparing and promoting internal training and encouraging continuous improvement and technical excellence.
The building manager is responsible for:
- Encouraging the technical and human commitment of the resources through his/her leadership.
- Adjusting and following an action plan in line with the medium- and long-term vision, including:
- Strategic growth of the building's mechanical team.
- Development of the contact network of clients and architects.
- The addition of dedicated resources in building structure and electricity in order to have a complete offer dedicated to the building sector.
- Ensuring the planning of resources and the distribution of the workload of his/her team.
- Monitoring and taking action on the technical and financial performance of the building team according to the KPIs identified in its dashboard.
- Approving project work plans.
- Monitoring and taking action on project performance.
- Becoming technically involved in projects when required either for the good of the project or its resources.
- Organizing and supersizing internal development activities.
- Participating in business development.
- Carrying out alignment and technical coaching in building mechanics.
- Ensuring the quality of deliverables.
- Preparing and verifying service proposal and fee estimates.
- Ensuring the monitoring of the quality management system by the resources of the department.
- Participating in and following the performance reviews of its resources.
- Identifying hiring needs based on order book forecasts.
- Participating in the annual salary review process.
- Participating in interviews and selection of candidates. Approving all hires for the department.
- Defining and following the resource development plans according to the needs of the department.
- Supervising the development of resource skills, including internal and external training needs.
- 10 years minimum experience as a mechanical building engineer
- Experience in engineering team management, an asset
- Experience in project management, an asset
- Experience in consulting engineering, an asset
- Spoken and written languages: French and English
Description of skills:
- Entrepreneurial skills
- Marked interest in technology
- Ability to converge quickly in problem solving
- Ability to communicate and work in a team
- Be an inspiring leader who takes pleasure in his/her work
HOME OFFICES AVAILABLE: Montreal, Varennes ou Quebec